Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are many potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can make its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or it could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here’s what you can do: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Gainesville to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Get the protection you need and call Service Experts in Gainesville at 352-374-6602 to learn more.