Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is working? There's a strong probability there’s something wrong with your unit. If you ignore it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—problems eventually. We're going to help you understand what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is originating from, that's alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can create noise inside your house. Browse our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can come from a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Look through our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can find more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your outside unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Check out our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend turning the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there's an issue with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's smart to get problems taken care of right away. Getting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.