Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is working? There's a strong probability there’s something wrong with your unit. If you ignore it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—problems eventually. We're going to help you understand what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, that's alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can create noise inside your house. Browse our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Look through our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can find more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your outside unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep running my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without examining your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there's an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's smart to get problems fixed right away. Getting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.