Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the Gainesville heat out and help your air conditioner survive throughout the final days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to discover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that may be torn or displaying signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven add a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help block the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and block some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is working as it should be and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Gainesville or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating correctly.