Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfy in your new room throughout the year is key. However, they can create a unique situation for comfort. This is due to the fact installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the heightened load, as it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most affordable options is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Learn more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a good solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, as they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient as they shift heat to make your addition cozier. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and lower your energy expenses for a long time.
Another unique feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has its own indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is especially beneficial if you have a space with precise temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that don’t have ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than adding ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the precise amount will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system could become overworked. When your current heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your residence prior to the addition. This can stress your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort could be impacted. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort may suffer if your system has to cover a larger area. Your heating and cooling could be less powerful, and your utility bills could become costlier as a result of the system needing to operate more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like regular systems, mini-splits come in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you select the correct size for your new addition. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or greater when routinely maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you select the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Contact us at 352-414-4006 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.